Last but never, ever least is Cheek’s 4th of July get up!
You can see is all enjoying his first 4th of July here.
This one ended up a tad too big. it looks fine for the most part, but the legs were supposed to be short length, and in some of these photos they look like pants! Oops. As a holiday-specific item, this kind of sucks, since it’s not like he’s gonna grow into it…
Based on his measurements the size chart put him in an 18-24 month size. However, I’ve found that even with my big boy Cheeks that when he’s wearing a certain size in Carter’s then the coordinating B&T size is usually appropriate fits him for longer. As an example, he’s wearing 18 month (yeah, I know…11 month old BIG BOY) in Carter’s but I really should have made an 12-18 month for this romper to fit well.
That said, I will probably still make the 18-24 month for his birthday outfit, since it’s still 3 weeks away (oh crap, is that all? I better get cracking!) and that outfit will have much more re-wearing power than this one does.
Now that I’ve made two of these, and have been using one for a couple of months, I am kind of annoyed at the title feature of this pattern: the rolled hems. They require futzing and smoothing after laundering and sometimes during wear. I may go to banded hems if I make this one again.
As per his daddy and mama’s outfits, I used the omni4thofjulypresent Girl Charlee Stars and Stripes cotton/spandex jersey. The 4 way stretch was a godsend for our outfits, but really got in Cheeks’s way as he crawled around. Pretty sure his romper grew a few inches by the end of the day…
He also enjoyed some cheeseburger, baked beans and watermelon whilst wearing his patriotic duds and got a bit of melonbutt goin’.
I pre-treated the stain before washing his outfit and the red stripes in the fabric sort of…lifted in a way. The stripes are still red, and I wouldn’t call it bleeding or crocking, but the abrasion of the Fels-Naptha bar sort of made parts of the red rub onto the white. Whuuuuut? Not cool, man.
That said, after its trip through the washer, it looks fine:
Did you notice something about that front pic? I felt like there was soooo much gaping between the snaps when Cheeks was wearing his romper that I added another snap in between what was there.
The pattern calls for 5 snaps, and now this one has 9. If I had thought about it beforehand, I would have spaced them to have 7 instead (because the least amount of snaps possible to deal with, the better). Something to think about in bigger sizes of this romper; only 5 on his 9-12 month size worked just fine.
Speaking of snaps…I totally decided to bite the bullet and buy a snap press! I picked this puppy (a DK-93) up at Kamsnaps.com and decided to start out with size 16 plastic snaps (NAYY). And let me tell you, it’s been kind of awesome and awful at the same time.
The awesome: how easy these are to install! It’s worlds away from the frustration of my SnapSetter (or even worse, the dreaded Dritz tool of doom).
The awful: even though I interfaced the front of this, I had snaps pulling out left and right (if I remember right, this happened with 4 or so) because they snap so securely. Kind of a double edged sword: “WOOHOO for being secure!” But “oh, fucking hell, that one just pulled through the fabric…”
For the ones I reinstalled, first I went really classy and ironed on a small bit of fusible patch to add stability. I also followed advice from Kamsnaps.com’s Facebook page and have been using a guitar pick to open the snaps for the first few uses.
In the future, I’ll use much heavier duty interfacing (and perhaps put a bit of something heavier and woven where I install the snaps) and not be so gung ho about how much I’m poking holes through with my awl. If you have a snap press in your life, I’d be eager to hear your tips and tricks.
So, that’s pretty much all she wrote on Cheeks’ romper. Here’s some sweet pics of him and daddy to closer ‘er on out…