Today’s subject: Brindille & Twig’s 035: Snap Hoodie*. I thank Melissa once again for helping me out by providing this pattern to round out Mr. Baby’s fabulous Spring wardrobe. This also happens to be my absolute FAVORITE piece of his wardrobe.
I made a size 9-12 month, as I mentioned with the other posts. It’s definitely bigger on him than the other things I’ve made, but it should be, since it’s supposed to go over those things. The hood is particularly giant, and my kid has a +90th percentile noggin’. But, no matter: better too luxuriously big than too small!
I used a really cool quilted jersey that I got at JoAnn Fabrics, of all places. Has a nice stretch, isn’t TOO bulky, but still has a bit of structure, and is reasonably soft. The lining is the Birch Organic cotton interlock that I used for his short sleeved onesie.
It didn’t dawn on me when looking at the sample garments that the upper sections were sewn on leaving raw edges, nor did I realize that the v-neck was just sewn to reinforce and then cut/left raw. For once, I also didn’t read through the entire pattern before starting, so it was a surprise during construction!
The file I received from Melissa calls this the “Rustic Hoodie” and based on the unfinished edges, I think it’s a way more accurate name. Or perhaps “Rustic Snap Hoodie” would be the perfect name.
This wasn’t the quickest B&T garment I’ve made, but it was by no means difficult. I just have one warning on construction: the first time around, I accidentally finished the neck edge of the hood instead of the face edge. I got it all done, and then pinned it onto the neck edge and had a real “D’oh!” moment. I should have realized this based on the direction it was cut, but alas there was a lot of seam ripping that happened. Make sure to note that the CURVED edge goes around the face; it is not the neckline.
Things I may/will change if I made this again (which I plan to):
- MAY: use a binding or placket to finish the v-neck. It’s fine as is, but I worry about how it will wear. Kids aren’t exactly easy on clothes.
- MAY: If I finish the placket, I’m going to want to finish the edges on the upper bodice overlays. To do this, I will lay right sides together on the current stitching line with the overlay facing down, stitch, then fold up and topstitch.
- WILL: The snap tab got all wavy on me because I constructed it on the sewing machine (even with my IDT/AKA built in walking foot), not wanting to add bulk from the serger. I will interface the bottom part of it in the future to keep this from happening.
Overall, I’m so happy with how this hoodie turned out. It’s so adorable and has some very nice little details. I particularly like how the lining is purposely visible at the edge of the hoodie, and the tab to snap ‘er closed.
*This is a referral link. You’ll help support my munchkin pattern and fabric habit if you happen to purchase after clicking through.