Sewing

Simplicity 1469 Take Two

I made another Simplicity 1469!  This time in top form for the wardrobe contest!

Simplicity 1469I used a cotton/spandex jersey from Girl Charlee (no longer available on their site, but I reviewed it here) and am very happy with the outcome this time.

Simplicity 1469With my last version, which was a dress, I cut a medium.  It was just too big everywhere.  For this one, I went to a small.  It’s looking a little more strained on the belly, but the fit in the shoulders and “waist” is so much better.  And, because the fabric is so stretchy, I’m not worried about

Simplicity 1469Because I tend to suffer from FLB (Full, low bust) I decided to only take a 3/8″ seam allowance where the bodice meets the top midriff band, and it was a good choice.

Simplicity 1469I also thought it might end up a bit tight around, so I only took a 1/2″ seam allowance there.  I really could’ve gone 1/4″ or 3/8″ instead and been a wee bit better off.

There are also these weird creases in the back, but the top is comfortable on, so I’m just not going to sweat it.

Simplicity 1469Bottom line:  I’m going for wearable; perfection is always desired but not necessary.  GOAL ATTAINED!

Simplicity 1469To reinforce the neckline edge, I used the method recommended by Aleah in the comments on my last 1469 post:  I serged clear elastic onto the wrong side of the neckline edge.  I’m happy with the result and really think it will be very durable.

Simplicity 1469I had a little trouble with some puckering on one side of the neck, but it’s not horrible:  a combination of trying to figure out the correct differential feed with my serger to use for the elastic and then the correct tension/differential to use with the coverstitch machine.

Simplicity 1469In case you didn’t catch the dress, this top is really neat because not only is it maternity wear, it’s also a nursing top!  Here’s a reminder of the nursing function from that post:

Simplicity 1469I’m really so much happier with this top than I was with the dress.  It’s not only the fit, but it’s also the fabric.  Yay for more garments I can wear right now!

Wardrobe Contest Completion Progress:  5 of 8
Days left until deadline:  9

Advertisements

11 thoughts on “Simplicity 1469 Take Two”

  1. Glad the clear elastic worked for you! I forgot to mention that it also took me a while to figure out how to avoid gathering/puckering with the coverstitch (I’ve never actually serged the elastic on, I just zigzag with my regular machine). What worked for me with the coverstitch was actually loosening the presser foot pressure a lot – my coverstitch is a Janome and has that feature.
    The top looks great!

    1. Thank you!

      Oh, good to know you just zig zag first. I mean, it makes sense since coverstitching is almost like a serging on the back, and doing both adds quite a bit of bulk. I have my presser foot pressure pretty light already; I think it worked out OK on this project, but I just feel like I have a lot more learning to do when it comes to adjusting for different fabrics.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s