I’ve been working my buns off on this lovely top since last Thursday, and it’s finally time to share: here’s my interpretation of the Grainline Studios Scout Tee!:
Here’s a link to the nitty gritty of the challenge. Cliff notes: make the Scout, but make it special. Embellish it, make it your own.
I may have ended up going a little overboard “making it special,” (it may be a little over-designed) but I was careful to retain the essence of the Scout T: A woven T shirt that is fairly fitted at the shoulders and a bit roomier down below.
I’m not sure how I feel about what I ended up with.
I feel that I have been greatly influenced by what I’ve been watching while sewing…Big Love (yeah for old HBO on Amazon Prime!). I feel like there must be a few women on The Compound who would enjoy wearing this shirt. It also makes me think “Little House on the Prairie,” but that’s mostly from the yoke and sleeves.
Side note: polygamy is fascinating, but I ain’t the sharing type. That is, except for TMI; I’m always sharing that.
So, what did I change about the pattern?
As is, this shirt was not so flattering and hung off of me. A friend told me it looked like a maternity shirt. Not so cool. Woven fabric + no darts + large bust = bad time.
I muslined a size 8 first but then decided it looked (and felt) a bit big and decided to try a 6, which is what I ended up sticking with. For the sake of function and flattery, I added a 3/4″ FBA, which added a small dart, and took in the waist 3″ on the side.
The most obvious design change is the color blocking, following closely by the tulip (petal; whatever you want to call them) sleeves. The color blocking was strategic, as it allowed me to absorb the dart into the upper side panels. Yay style lines!
I also added a center back seam to allow for a small amount of additional waist shaping (took out another 3/4-1″ total), since the pattern as is created a weird convex shape to my back (see muslin pic above) that Mr. 5 said made it look like a paper bag. Nice.
I know if I had done this “right” I would have had two seams (well, darts) below the shoulder blades, but I wanted to keep things as simple as possible fitting wise, since it is a T-shirt. I added a curved to the trim at the bottom for a little flare.
And here’s how I drafted the tulip sleeve, with the help of my handy dandy apparel design patternmaking textbook:
What fabrics did I use?
Uh, what fabrics didn’t I use? I ended up making this 4 piece pattern into a 10 piece pattern, and then ended up cutting out a total of 23 pieces from 4 different fabrics for a total of 2 1/4 yards. That’s one high maintenance T shirt, folks.
I used a pink floral cotton crinkle gauze, a cream cotton voile with (more) flowers, and a pink cotton eyelet. After choosing all of these, I decided that all of the gauze pieces needed two layers and the voile and front upper eyelet pieces needed to be lined with Martha Pullen Elegance (silk/cotton).
So, most of this T shirt is lined in some manner. The only parts that aren’t are the back eyelet sections (I thought I’d be a little saucy) and the eyelet band (because, meh, no one cares if they see a peek of that skin).
And, once everything was lined I decided to continue with the niceties. I bound all of the raw edges with hug snug bias binding:
I’m craaaaazy! Kind of like Dave, the taco loving guy on my favorite
time sucking, addictive mindless video game.
I don’t know exactly how many hours this top took me to make, but 10-12 is probably a good guesstimate. Like I said, I’m the mayor of T-shirt Crazytown.
If you like what you see, please vote for me on Fabric Mart’s blog! Voting is today and tomorrow only (September 10th and 11th), and counts for 50% of each person’s total score, so you’ll want to head on over sooner than later. :) And if ya do, thank you very much!