Why do I call it so? It took me a while to decide what to think of it!
My initial reaction: “Well, this isn’t very flattering.” And it made me realize that I feel this way just about every time I see myself in a dirndl skirt of any kind. Perhaps I should take a hint?
I was definitely glad that I had made it out of this fabric as a wearable muslin instead of the fabric I had intended for an engagement dress:
But then I wore it for a while. And it was comfy. I finished it on a Sunday afternoon and then proceeded to wear it for the rest of the day. When I woke up Monday morning, I put it right back on again. I’m not sure if this decision was dress specific or delicious feeling rayon challis related, but whatever it was, I was OK with it.
After all of that, I’ve decided I do like it.
This is Simplicity 1877, which has been much lauded by divabuddha of PatternReview (to the tune of 4 versions!). And there’s no denying how hilarious Anne is with her awesome take on this dress. I kept eyeing the pattern, but they finally convinced me to give it a go.
I used this fab rayon challis that I bought from FabricMart in May. I had intended it to be a shirtdress, but got shorted a bit on yardage and decided to use it for this instead. I cut out a 14 with only 2.25 yards (less, after straightening the grain), and the pattern calls for 3 yards. Not bad! Things got a bit tricky when I got to cutting the self-bias, but it all worked out.
I didn’t bother adding the pockets because I heard multiple reports of them being too small, and I was too lazy to make them larger, or cut and sew them. I also omitted the shoulder flounces because I wasn’t feelin’ ’em.
I made a few small changes in the bodice, including an FBA, which fit splendidly:
I also took 1/4″ off the neckline edge of the shoulder to get a better fit, raised the neckline 1″, because I didn’t read the instructions regarding the self bias and thought there would be another 5/8″ turnover at the neck, and I had some side-bra peekage, so I raised and curved the underarms just a bit. I probably could’ve left the neckline as-is and been OK.
On my bodice muslin, I took out a total of 1 1/2″ at the waist, thinking I’d left myself with 1/2″ of ease. Despite that, I still had some issues with the waist during construction. Once I got the skirt sewed onto the bodice, I tried the dress on again and the waist was huge! I’m thinking I accidentally stretched the bodice while sewing. It is rayon, after all. I’d definitely recommend stay stitching the lower edge of the bodice! I ended up taking out another 3/4″ from the center back and another 1/2″ from each of the side seams for a total of another 1 3/4″. Yeesh.
I also decided to use a regular zipper that I had on hand, instead of going out and buying an invisible zip. No big thang.
Lastly, I decided to slap a baby hem on this puppy instead of pressing up the whole hem. So nice and easy peasy!
I also got another thing finished lately…
…but that’s a post for another day.