This pattern is an oldie but a goodie: Colette Parfait!
I whipped it up in an easy breezy Amy Butler Cameo collection cotton voile – Josephine’s Bouquet in Ink. Oh how wonderful this fabric feels…I wish you could pet it through the internet. It greatly increases my desire for some Liberty Lawn.
I’m not really sure what I think about this silhouette in this fabric. The print is so busy that the fun lines of the dress are lost from afar. Plus, there’s the matter of my scheisse-y matching skillz on the skirt front. I really did try, which just makes it sadder. Hey, at least they all line up horizontally!
I matched the skirt back decidedly more successfully.
I cut this bad boy out late on a Saturday night (fueled by a Starbucks bottled iced coffee that I should not have consumed at 10 pm which led to 3 am bedtime) and finished sewing the buttons on by early Tuesday evening. Less than four days from start to finish. That’s speed demon pace in my sewing room!
I’ve made this dress once before, so I knew what adjustments I’d need to make – no muslin needed! I used Martha’s Heirloom batiste in Robin’s Egg from Martha Pullen to line the dress, since I have trouble with the facings flipping out all of the time with my last Parfait. So annoying.
The ribcage on my Dragon Dress (or Dargon Dress, as Mr. 5 affectionately calls it) is just a bit tight, so I added another 1/8″ at least side seam for a total of 1/2″ extra all around.
I also added a bit of an FBA to make some more room for my…ahem…girls. Another 1/2″ on each side gives me another inch all around to work with, and it was just the right amount!
Sorry about the fold lines; had to get this pattern piece out of storage.
There’s some bodice that doesn’t quite lie flat near my ‘pits, but this happened with my last Parfait and just kind of smoothed itself out with wear over time, but I’ve made a note of how much it needs to be adjusted so I can alter the bust for any future Parfaits.
I applied the interfacing to the lining pieces instead of the shell; it just always seems wrong to me when pattern directions tell you to apply it to an outward facing fabric. Though, with the curve and gathers, I’ve decided in hindsight that I should’ve just put it where Colette told me to. Oh well; still functional!
Not sure where that weird wrinkle came from.
I decided to skip the pockets once again. Not sure If I’ll ever use them, but they do add a cute little something.
I thought about just sewing the straps on instead of using the flap and button approach, but decided to keep the latter and found some fun buttons!
Overall, it fits pretty well and I love the silhouette (obv, since this is my second go at it). It is a well drafted pattern that I’m sure I’ll get additional use from in the future. I’ve always thought a corduroy Parfait would be fun for Fall…
As I mentioned in my last post, this dress was intended to be used as an engagement photo dress, but I’m not so sure of it anymore. It’s cute, but I don’t know if it’s emblazoned on professional photographs forever cute. I’m thinking I’ll just keep cranking out some dresses and we’ll see which ones win. :)