Das stimmt, lieblings, I’ve been presented with the Liebster award! Danielle of One Small Stitch Today was very kind to nominate me for this honor, and it’s been a delight to pore over the beautiful makes in her blog. Thank you, Danielle!
For those of you that don’t know, the Liebster is an award one blogger can bestow upon another, provided they have less than 200 followers. It seems the criteria regarding the award vary greatly between different instances of the Liebster, based on this Liebster origins blog post, so I’m just going to follow the information Danielle has outlined in her blog post:
To accept the award, I need to answer the 10 questions set by Danielle, then nominate another 10 bloggers, again with less than 200 followers, and give them another 10 questions. Seems pretty awesome to me! Here are my answers to Danielle’s questions:
1. Why did you start sewing?
I began sewing because it was something I had always wanted to try it. My mom fueled my passion to create. I can’t recall actually watching her sew, but she did make me a couple of pretty awesome costumes as a kid (I have such a bad memory in general…I don’t remember jack shit!). When I was probably 8 or 9, I began by stitching a few doll clothes by hand, but what I really wanted to do was use a sewing machine. When I was 13 (or maybe a bit younger?) my mom finally decided I was old enough to use hers without sewing through my hand. My first dress was a simple shift made from quilting cotton, and the rest is history…
2. Five words that describe you:
Creative, caring, sarcastic, uptight, and weird.
3. What is your favourite make?
So difficult to choose, but I’m gonna go with my pre-blog Parfait:
4. And your least favourite?
My damn ill fitting Thurlows. I pledge to make some Thurlow shorts and conquer the pattern this summer! My buns shall not munch on my trousers any longer!
5. What piece(s) of sewing equipment (besides your machine) could you not live without?
My rotary cutters and mats, and my serger! I also have a love affair with those lockable tweezer-like gadgets that are awesome for turning fabric tubes.
6. What are your three favourite blogs?
In no particular order:
– Pretty Grievances: because my weeks would be so much grayer without the quirk and humor of lovely Anne with her pretty makes and whacky takes on what cruises down the runways.
– No Time To Sew: because Aleah and I have similar style and tastes. The girl has got some talent, plus, she’s also a fan of Liz Lemon. ‘Nuff said.
– Tulle & Tweed: Because I am in awe of Annie’s fitting skills and admire all of the lovely natural fibers she seems to work with so easily. She has a really classic look that is simply beautiful and inspiring.
7. What accomplishment are you most proud of?
Probably graduating college. Kind of a boring and expected answer, but that was 4 years of effort right there!
8. Sweet tooth or savoury?
Umm, both? I’ll take sweet if I have to choose. Man, I love junk food.
9. What’s the most daring thing you’ve ever done?
I think that would probably be spending my last year of college at FIT in New York City. I had never been away from home, and it was quite the experience. I love visiting New York so much, but I don’t know that I’d ever want to live there again: I prefer trees and fresh air to concrete and hot dog cart/subway smells.
10. What’s your secret for a happy life?
Is there a secret? Spending time with Mr. 5 as well as friends and family, sewing, and my various other hobbies, are what make me happy. :)
And now for my nominations…in no particular order. Please note that I really have no idea how you figure out how many followers a blogger has, unless it’s plainly listed on their blog, so forgive me if any of you have more than 200 followers. Here’s to the bloggers that make me smile:
1. Anne, the Clothing Engineer: This lady really knows what she’s doing. Every garment is fitted to her exacting standards and looks absolutely beautiful on her. I found her on a thread about bra making on Pattern Review (she knows a lot about that, too!) and always look forward to seeing what she’s come up with.
2. Aleah of No Time to Sew: See #6 above. :)
3. Annie of Tulle & Tweed: Again, #6. Above. :)
4. Meigan of Get My Stitch On: Love her very versatile and wearable makes, and I am especially in awe of her swimsuits, for which she has provided some great pointers.
5. Kat of All the Whimsical Things: She makes so many beautiful dressess, and her blog posts about the sewing meet ups she has attended make me wish I were an Aussie! She was due to have her first baby on May 3rd (which happens to be my dad and second cousin’s birthday), and while there hasn’t been a peep about the arrival of “Ginger,” I’m guessing by now she’s having quite the busy time as a new mom! Congrats to Kat and her husband!
6. Christy of My Stitch and Bitch: Has such a fun demeanor, and makes all sorts of pretty frocks out of wild prints. :)
7. Rikki of Rikki Sews: She may be a fairly new blogger, but it’s obvious she’s definitely had some quality time with sewing for a while. This petite lady has blogged a few rockin’ knit dresses…and you all know what a big fan I am of knits! She’s another person I found from Pattern Review! :)
OK, so that’s only 7 and not 10…turns out, a lot of the blogs I read have a lot of readers! Or, they’ve been blogging for a while, so I just assumed they would have too many readers to be eligible. Also because I’m
a little too lazy to search for new blogs that fulfill the Liebster qualifications just for this post. Rules = meant to be broken!!!
And now, dear winners, should you choose to accept this lovely award, here are the ten questions I have for you to answer:
1. If you could spend an afternoon sewing with anyone in history, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
2. If you could have up to five yards of any fabric in the world for free, what would you choose? (“Bonus” points for a picture)
3. What would you make with the mythical unicorn-like fabric from question 2?
4. What’s your favorite fruit or vegetable?
5. What’s your favorite non-sewing project of all time?
6. What’s your favorite aspect of sewing?
7. What’s your dream job?
8. What’s your favorite era in fashion, and why?
9. Is there any type of clothing that you’ve always wanted to try making but have never attempted? If yes, what is it? Also, what’s stopping ya?
10. What’s your favorite part of blogging?
Looking forward to seeing what you all have to say!
ETA: Whoops. In addition to answering the questions above, I totally forgot to mention that the nominees who accept should also perpetuate the Lieb by nominating 10 blogs of their choice, which have 200 readers or less, and provide them with 10 questions of your own to answer. Seems like I always forget something in a long post like this! :) Obviously, if you’ve already posted, no sweat. ;)