This dress rocks.
It’s damn cute, it was easy to make, and wearing it feels like PJs. Public appropriate PJs are really the rockingest thing ever. I wore it to my cousin’s outdoor wedding this Labor Day weekend: both the festivities, and this dress, were awesome.
I’ve had this seagull laden fabric in my stash forever and a day. I got it at Joann Fabrics, of all places, and it’s a wondrous, substantial rayon/spandex blend, as far as I can discern. Let’s hope it stays that way.
I didn’t change much on this puppy. I shortened the skirt 4 inches, only used one line of stitching, instead of two, around the arms and neckline, and omitted the waist elastic. It’s definitely quite long, so unless you’re very tall, you’ll probably need to lop some of it off. I’m 5’4″, for reference. This dress also seems to be pretty much made for a larger chest – no FBA (full bust adjustment) needed! So, if you’re on the more petite side up top, an SBA (small bust adjustment) may be in order.
That being said, there are a few things I will change on the next round. Instead of just folding and sewing the neckline, I’ll sew a band of self fabric on, turn it to the inside, and sew again to secure. I may even stick some knit interfacing onto that self fabric band. I’m afraid that this dress will stretch a lot over time using the method that the pattern directs. I hope not, since I really dig it, but only time will tell.
I will also cut two of the ties so they were finished on both sides. The prescribed narrow hem treatment isn’t as finished looking as I would like, and I had a couple of people comment that seeing the wrong side of the fabric is distracting.
Bottom line: This dress really floats my boat. I already have plans for another!
Speaking of wedding related business, Mr. 5 and I will be having our engagement photos taken later this month. Squee! I already have one dress done, which has yet to be blogged, and have plans for one more.
More on that soon!